PhD (Purdue University)
Tel : (852) 3963 5437
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr Lam received his PhD in Linguistics from Purdue University, USA. His primary research interest is syntax-semantics interface under the generative framework, i.e. how meaning shapes the structure of sentences. In addition, he is interested in the similar behaviours across different syntactic categories. He has worked on Cantonese, Mandarin and German.
Dr Lam teaches the following courses:
- ENG1200 Introduction to Linguistics
- ENG3222 Corpus Linguistics
- ENG3200 Meaning and Language
- ENG3327 English-Chinese Contrastive Analysis
- ENG2205 The Sound Systems of English
- Lam, C. (accepted). The V-one-V construction and modification in the verbal domain in Cantonese. Studies in Chinese Linguistics.
- Lam, C. and C. Wong (2020). Accent in digital humanities and language studies: The case in Hong Kong. 3L: The Southeast Asian Journal of English Language Studies, 26(1):32–43.
- Francis, E., Lam, C., Zheng, C. C., Hitz, J., & Matthews, S. (2015). Resumptive pronouns, structural complexity, and the elusive distinction between grammar and performance: evidence from Cantonese. Lingua, 162, 56–81.
- Yap, H., Wang, J., & Lam, C. T. K. (2010). Clausal integration and the emergence of mitigative and adhortative sentence-final particles in Chinese. Taiwan Journal of Linguistics, 8(2), 63–86.
- Lam, C. (to appear). Reduplication as summation. In H. Filip (Ed.), Counting and Measuring in Natural Language. Cambridge University Press.
Refereed Conference Papers
- Lam, C., & Wong, C. (2017). Challenges in digital literacy in English curriculum. In Proceedings of the teaching NLP for digital humanities workshop (Teach4DH), Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin.
- Lam, C. (2015). Classifiers and unaccusative verbs in Cantonese. In Proceedings of the first Buckeye East Asian Linguistics Forum, the Ohio State University.
- Lam, C. (2014). A unified analysis to surpass comparative and experiential aspect. In Proceedings of the 28th Pacific Asia Conference on Language, Information, and Computation (pp.368–377).
- Lam, C. (2014). A unified semantic analysis of classifiers and reduplication across nominal and verbal domains. In Proceedings of the 9th annual symposium of the Purdue Linguistics Association.
- Lam, C. (2013). Reduplication across categories in Cantonese. In Proceedings of the 27th Pacific Asia Conference on Language, Information, and Computation (pp.277–286).